Lovely vegan lemon hemp protein bars to keep in your freezer for grab ‘n go fuel!
… Aaaand I’m back with another blog post! It’s been a while since I’ve really sat down and wrote anything, and a quiet summer day like today means I can do just that! This past month has been a whirlwind, but only the best type! I’ve been enjoying every second of the abundance that summer brings, and I’ve never felt so stress-free and grateful. I guess this is what happens when you love being outside and you’re pretty much solar-powered (;
My mom absolutely cannot live without lemons (and I can’t live without lemonade), so you’ll never find my house without a bag of lemons lying in our fruit bowl. Warm, sunny days always point to fresh flavours for me, so lemony snacks are always great to have around at this time of year. It’s easy to just grab some fruit from the counter for a snack, but I find that having something with a little more protein just satiates my hunger a lot more effectively so I won’t go hungry in 10 minutes and end up having more time to make the most out of my summer!
I love these bars because I can just leave them in the freezer and pop one out whenever I want one to enjoy. I like to thaw them out a little before eating, so if you plan to bring them out as a mid-day snack, they will be perfect! These bars have the perfect balance of plant-based proteins, fats, and carbohydrates to keep you going on any day.
- BASE LAYER
- 1½ c. oats
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. seed butter
- TOP LAYER
- 1 c. oats
- ½ c. vanilla protein powder*
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- ½ c. seed butter
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp. chia seeds, 3 tbsp. water)
- 7 medjool dates
- ½ c. almond milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Shredded coconut
- Hemp seeds
- Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add in the base layer ingredients and pulse until mixture is sticky and resembles a dough.
- Press the bottom layer into the loaf pan.
- For the top layer, add in all the ingredients into a high-speed blender or food processor and pulse until mixure resembles a sticky dough. This layer should be more sticky than the base.
- Spread the layer on top of the base layer.
- Sprinkle hemp seeds and/or coconut on top for garnish.
- Store in the fridge or freezer to set**
**If you store it in the freezer, allow to thaw for 15 minutes before enjoying!