Albeit three days late, we’re throwing Chew a virtual birthday on Radiant Rachels today! And no party is completely without cake. In fact, I like to believe that a party isn’t a real party without cake. Can I get an amen? Amen!
It’s been nearly four years since I’ve met Chew, so I can no longer say that we’re “best friends that just met”. Birthdays are not just about celebrating another year of life, but also remembering and being grateful for all the good times we’ve had. To have a soul mate like Chew, who literally lives a block away from me, to depend on, I’m the most blessed person on the Earth. She’s changed me as into a person with a more caring heart, a more lively spirit, a sillier personality, and a more determined mindset. My mental and physical well-being has dramatically improved because of her influence and support.
The quote “Best friends don’t let best friends do stupid stuff…alone” accurately depicts our friendship. Together we’re like dumb and dumber, building upon each others’ ridiculous ideas only to make them even more absurd. Who else would call me up at 8pm on a Monday for an ice cream run, carry paint-splattered table clothes down the street in public, or insist on taking photos with the most hideous facial expressions? I think Chew is the only one that fits the job description.
Now that our peanut butter-eating, all-season shorts-wearing, pun-loving Chew is an adult (gasp!), bring on the bellinis and cheers to many more years of laughter and smiles!
To my dearest Chew, may you never stop radiating with coolness and I hope your “world peace” wish comes true, even though you said your 11:11 wish out loud.
A Little Naked Chocolate Cake like this one is perfect for a mini celebration or a surprise at any celebration. This one-bowl recipe is gluten free and can easily be made vegan by using applesauce in place of yogurt. The texture is a bit like a brownie with a dark chocolate flavour. Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream is also the easiest and quickest ‘frosting’ to make and use. The method I used to construct a fourth cake layer is from Momofuku. By molding all the cake scraps into a fourth layer, you reduce the amount of waste made and increase the height of your cake! Double win! Decorate and adorn your cake to suit the celebration; we were at a glow-in-the-dark party so I used an assortment of colourful sprinkles.
- GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pans
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons yogurt or applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- VEGAN COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
- ½ a 14oz can of coconut cream, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 1 to 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to to 350⁰F and line an 8" square pan with parchment paper.
- To make the cake, whisk together the cocoa powder, oat flour, coconut sugar, espresso powder, baking soda and powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the milk, yogurt, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract all into the mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth into a flat layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 to 20 minutes before moving the cake from the pan to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the coconut whipped cream, whisk together the chilled coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness as necessary.
- Once cake has completely cooled, cut out 3 circles using a small bowl or tin can as a stencil. Make a fourth layer by molding the cake trimmings: firmly pack all the trimmings into a single layer and cut out a circle, using your fingers to smooth out the ridges and seal pieces together. Alternatively, if you have a circular cookie cutter or a tin can with no top or bottom, you can press all the pieces firmly into the mould..
- To assemble, start with one cake layer and top alternatively with whipped cream and cake layers, sandwiching the 'cake trim' layer in the middle of the cake. Top with a layer of whipped cream and decorate the cake as desired. I went with a simple adornment of colourful sprinkles on the top.
Chocolate cake recipe adapted from Pancake Princess