Our last Valentine’s Day recipe is for the Last Minute Molly’s out there who are looking to whip up a quick and easy batch of chocolate treats for your friends/family/loved one. Warning: these salted caramel turtles are extremely addictive!
Ever since one of our dear friends, Jessica, made each of our friends a little treat bag of peppermint bark, cookies, and homemade turtles last Christmas, I have been wanting to re-create this candy. I remember eating one right after our sushi dinner as dessert once I got home, and I’ve been dreaming of them ever since I ate my last.
One of my bestest friends, Pam, also told me to veganize turtles as my next Radiant Rachels recipe; when a bff demands, you gotta deliver… so this one’s for you Pam!
Turtles you buy from the store are no where close to how delicious this version is. Not only that, but you save a ton of money, save packaging wastes, and you’ll be giving treats that are made with love and real ingredients! No high-fructose corn syrup or skimping on the pecans here.
If you make this today, you’ll still be able to share or gift this to your loved one or even just enjoy them with yourself and some friends! A lot of times, slow and steady wins the race… but you can’t win if you don’t start, so make these turtles and you can relax and just celebrate tomorrow!
- ½ c. coconut oil
- ½ c. cacao powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ tsp. salt
- SALTED CARAMEL
- ¾ c. dates
- 6 tbsp. coconut milk + extra if needed
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. caramel extract (optional)
- ½ tsp. salt
- TO ASSEMBLE
- ½ c. Pecans, toasted
- Toast pecans in oven on a baking sheet for 5 minutes in a 350F oven, or until aromatic.
- Line a tray with mini cupcake liners. Put 1-2 toasted pecans in each liner.
- For the caramel, add all the ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth. Add more coconut milk as needed to reach a paste consistency.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, add in all the chocolate ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Spoon in caramel into each mini cupcake liner on top of the pecans, then top it off with a spoonful of the chocolate mixture.
- Let them set in freezer for 15-20 minutes before eating. Store in freezer.